[vc_row row_type=”row” text_align=”left” css_animation=””][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_column_text][/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”2/3″][vc_column_text]Portable Kinematic Viscometers
The SpectroVisc Q3000 series viscometers are the first truly portable, solvent-free, temperature-controlled 40C kinematic viscometers, providing high-accuracy measurements for easy detection of viscosity variations caused by contamination, mix-up and oil degradation. The devices were designed to determine kinematic viscosity in the field for applications where immediate results are essential for determining the health of critical equipment.
The SpectroVisc Q3000 family includes two models:
- SpectroVisc Q3050 portable viscometer,
1-700 cSt @ 40° C
- SpectroVisc Q3000 portable viscometer,
10-350 cSt @ 40° C
SpectroVisc Q3000 viscometers use a patented split cell design that enables measurement of kinematic viscosity using only a few drops (60µL) of oil. Operation of the device is simple; after loading ~60µl oil into the upper well of the chip, gravitational force causes the fluid sample to flow down the microchannel. A proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller is used with a heating element to effectively maintain the test cell temperature at 40°C to provide a true 40C kinematic viscosity measurement. After measurement, the test cell is simply wiped clean with a non-abrasive pad.
This viscometer operates as a Hele-Shaw cell, where Stokes flow is present between two parallel plates. The fluid passing between an LED and a photodiode causes a drop in the photodiode voltage. The average velocity of the fluid is calculated from the elapsed time between photodiodes and is then used to generate a kinematic viscosity for the measured sample.
- 40C kinematic viscosity of oils or any Newtonian fluid.
Features & Benefits
- Conforms to ASTM WK40831 – “New Test Method for Field Determination of Kinematic Viscosity Using Microchannel Viscometer”
- Direct kinematic viscosity measurement
- A measure of a liquid’s flow under the influence of gravity is provided at a constant temperature, so viscosity can be compared and trended with prior readings. Requires no density check, temperature measurement, instrument pre-configuration or calculation.
- Split-cell capillary channel
- Using a very small sample size; the sampling chamber controls temperature while infrared sensors measure flow and trajectory, delivering immediate results.
- Self-contained with high-resolution touch screen, battery and microprocessor
- Enables easy operation, in sunlight or low light, drawing minimal power for a 6-hour battery life. Requires no PC.
- Small sample size
- Small sample size of 60µl (about 4 drops) is easy to obtain without impacting lubricant level. Reduces waste.
- Temperature controlled: 40°C ± 0.1°C
- Each sample is held to a constant temperature for consistently accurate readings without additional pre-test measurements.
- Works with transparent and opaque oils
- Provides accurate results for even the dirtiest samples.
- No cleaning solvent necessary
- Eliminates worry about solvent disposal in remote locations. Fewer items to carry.
- Weighs less than 1.8 kg (4 lbs.)
- Designed for remote locations, the SpectroVisc Q3000 series includes a hinged cover that protects the sample chamber and touch screen while being carried by hand, in a toolbox or in a knapsack.
- Battery operated
- Stays charged for more than 6 hours. Built-in universal charger for use worldwide; region-specific power cable included.
The SpectroVisc units can be ordered as a combination kit with the FluidScan® Q1000 or Q1100 portable infrared fluid condition monitors.
Resources & Downloads
- SpectroVISC Q3000 Series Data Sheet
- Portable Kinematic Oil Analysis Solution for Field-Based Users
- Article: Oil Analysis Portable Solutions for Preventing Expensive Repairs
- Reducing Routine Maintenance Costs of Engine Generator Sets with New Portable Oil Analysis Tools
Photos & Video